Poisonous mushrooms growing in Melbourne
The Victorian Government has sent out a warning regarding picking mushrooms at this time of year:
• Extreme caution is advised when picking and consuming wild mushrooms – if in doubt, don’t consume.
• Poisonous mushrooms including Death Cap mushrooms and Yellow-staining mushrooms are currently growing in and around Melbourne
• Cooking, peeling or drying these mushrooms does not remove or inactivate the poison.
• There is no home test available to distinguish safe and edible mushrooms from poisonous mushrooms.
• Mushrooms purchased from a supermarket, greengrocer or other reputable source are safe to eat.
- Dr Jelena Radosavljevic has mastered her family medicine expertise in South Australia prior to working at a number of successful suburban practices around Melbourne. In addition to her Fellowship of the Royal College of General Practitioners, she has also previously practised as a Palliative Care Specialist at a number of hospitals in Melbourne’s South East. She enjoys working with young families as well as managing health of patients with chronic illnesses and other complex medical requirements.